Let’s Solve One Together So You Can See How to Do It!
“How to Solve a Celebrity Cipher” showed how to solve this popular newspaper puzzle when it has:
♦ A one-letter word, which will be either “A” or “I”
♦ A contraction
♦ A four-letter word starting and ending with the same letter, which will likely be THAT
♦ A four-letter word with the same second and fourth letters, which will usually be HERE or WERE
♦ A four-letter word with the same first and third letters and the same second and fourth letters, which would usually be MAMA, PAPA or GAGA
If you find one or more of those clues in a Celebrity Cipher, it’s usually pretty easy to solve.
So what do you do with a Celebrity Cipher that has none of those! Such as this one [©2019 by NEA, Inc., dist. by Andrews McMeel Syndication 7-12].
“GIXTDO YGCKMD KCAMFGTDO NCSFG PCTDO,
DMXMS OTXM RE,
IDP FSV DCF FC BMF IDVCDM PCND.”
Make a copy for yourself and
Follow along in the steps below to solve it with me
- Always start with “TODAY’S CLUE”—R=U. This clue is usually crucial to solving the Celebrity Cipher and will often enable you to guess the word. It’s easy to see that RE will be either “UP” or “US.” There is no other E in the cipher and I refrain from guessing unless I have to.
- But now what do you do? If the first word were followed by a comma, you could figure it’s an adverb ending in “LY.” But we don’t have that! So, again, what can we do next? Appropriately, this cipher is looking a little difficult!
- Look for a three-letter word following a comma. A three-letter word will often be “THE” or “AND,” and a three-letter word following a comma will likely be “AND.” Let’s try IDP=”AND” and see it the three letters seem to fit in structure and content with the rest of the cipher. No red flags so let’s go on!
- Three words end in TDO with the D=N. We have to be a little daring if we’re going to solve this cipher, and a good guess would be TDO=”ING.”
- Seems to be working! Because PCTDO is “D_ING” and would be “DOING.”
- PCND is “DO_N” and would be “DOWN.”
- DCF FC is “NO_ _O,” and seeing which one letter of the alphabet makes best sense to complete the two words, it’s obvious the two words are “NOT TO.”
- IDVCDM is “AN_ON_” and would be “ANYONE.”
- BMF is “_ET” and in context would be “LET.”
- FSU is “T_Y” and in context would be “TRY.”
- KCAMFGTDO NCDSFG is “_O_ETHING WORT_.” The second word is obviously “WORTH,” and the first word obviously would be “SOMETHING.”
- DMXMS OTXM is “NE_ER GI_E”and would be “NEVER GIVE.”
- Going back to RE, we didn’t have to guess, in context it must be “UP.”
- GISSV is “_ARRY” and must be “Larry” or “Harry.” The first word of the cipher also leads with a G so the two words must be “HAVING” and “HARRY.” Besides, the celebrity’s last name has already filled in completely as “REASONER” and most of us have heard of HARRY REASONER.
- The final word YGCKMD in context must be “CHOSEN.”
CONGRATULATIONS! We’ve solved this difficult Celebrity Cipher as a good reasoner without harry guessing! Hope this inspires you to have fun solving other Celebrity Ciphers. I’ve only come across one that I couldn’t crack!
“Having chosen something worth doing,
never give up,
and try not to let anyone down.”—Harry Reasoner